Thursday, May 28, 2015

Finding Yourself in Your Poison

Sometimes feeling like you're "home" is finding that warm blanket with the fur that's like a stuffed animal's fur and the comfy slippers that you wouldn't even risk wearing to the dumpster out back. Sometimes those things are shaped like a glass with maybe some ice cubes and some special sauce up in there. Now if you know me, you would know that my special sauce up until a few years ago was Pabst Blue Ribbon. It was about as comfortable a drink as a girl could get. I knew the exact amount that needed to be consumed most evenings to make my face relax from a crazy day at work. Today, as I grow to ripeness and my body's metabolism seeks other opportunities I am forced to consider a low carb alternative to my routine. Vooodka! Diet soda mixers and calorie-free sports drinks seemed the logical way to go for dilution. I choked that stuff down, and it did the trick, but it left me feeling like a high school prom date and not like the sophisticated lady that I sometimes pretend that I am. Then one day a co-worker told me HIS special sauce; vodka and soda water with a bit of lime. Maybe I subconsciously knew this was a thing, but it never occurred to me that it could be MY thing. "Too simple!" my mind told me. I pushed back that thought and purchased the ingredients and made myself a drink using my OCD measuring method that comes from liking my face to feel loose in the evenings and having a day job. I immediately discovered that this drink was perfect. Refreshing and tasty. And it fights scurvy!

Maybe you're in your 40's. Maybe everyday beer drinking is making you look bumpier. I invite you to join me in this next chapter of relaxation.

Here's my poison:

A Dixie cup of vodka (two shots)
The juice of 1/2 of a lime
Soda water

Pour these ingredients into a tall glass over three ice cubes. Repeat if needed. Put your feet up. You're home.

2 comments:

  1. Omg, Thank you! I'm totally trying this with gin in place of vodka. Up til now, my poison of choice (outside of beer) was gin and tonic, but because I can never drink tonic water before it goes flat (and it feels like a waste of money) I never make them at home. But soda water is awesome wiht or without gin. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally tried everything to find that perfect combo. Every creative diet soda combo, every squirtable little tube thing, every flavor of sports drink. I even tried diet tonic water. I think tonic only is only really supposed to be married to gin. All left me with a sickening taste in my mouth the next day. Sean mentioned the soda and lime thing. I thought it wouldn't be sweet enough, but I realized what I craved wasn't the sweet as much as the tang. This drink is literally perfect!!! It's so light! Cheers!

      Delete