Sunday, July 6, 2014

Leaving Again

Where's Yoyo? Yoyo!!!
I guess I should be used to the semi-quarterly heart stomp that is a kid coming from/going to college. Should be no big thang. Still weird though. Honestly I can't figure out if it's heart ache or heart swell. One is a needyclingingco-dependentsadness. The other is a ohmygodmykidisbecomingindependentproudness. Two sides. Same coin.

The currency of letting go.

It's a process. For both parties. We continue to pretend like all of this is no big deal. But it is all a big deal. This is where we get to test the multitude of experiments that encompass the science of parenting. Did they mostly turn out o.k.? Do they routinely make good choices? Do they smell more-or-less presentable?

So my kid got a dog. Would not AT ALL have supported this decision, but this particular child is ATE UP for dogs and did the research and redtapework needed to have a dog on campus. It's a good dog. A sweet, fuzzy type of thing. Curly tail. Orange. Therapeutic.

Winston is already missing his best friend. His brother. He is proud of him for getting to go to college. He is happy that he gets to make new friends. He worries though. Will Yoyo be accepted? He barks. People hate barking. But he will certainly win them over. He has a sense of what it takes to make people like him. Not in a co-dependent way but in a "tell people what you think they want to hear" kind of way. Like that.

Alex and Yoyo will be awesome. They are awesome. Forever and ever. Amen

I (we) just miss them...

"Sharon, it's only been a few hours."

"I know."



8 comments:

  1. Sending you hugs, too. It is the hardest thing to let kids go...no, wait. The hardest thing is to not offer unsolicited advice ( even though keeping it in threatens to make me explode.) My sons are 29 and almost 28. ADULTS!! They don't need or appreciate their MOMMY suggesting what they should do. And when I was their age, my mom's advice didn't help me, and I didn't want it. I just wanted her to say "It'll be ok. I love you. Do you need money?" So that's all I can do, and I try really hard to not pry. They are really good guys. They will fall down. (I did...) but they'll get back up and do better. (I did.) I hope so, anyway! We have to "keep the faith." XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, can I write about anything else but my dang kids? Who knew that 17-20 would be one of the hardest ages to parent? At least for us clingers. Thank you so much for your "older sister" support! I heavily lean on you!

      Delete
  2. I love your writing!! It's funny and honest and sometimes sad but never in a way that doesn't also make me happy- keep up the good work. If you ever need hugs and/or beer and/or excessive amounts of obscure nerd references I'm hee for you friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cat! I love you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Hellooooooo! Checking in to say hello in August! Hope all is well. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helloooooooooooo to you toooooo! I can't believe it's August! My dog will be ONE next month! Time flies!

      I hope you are having a nice introduction to fall!

      Delete