Sunday, December 8, 2013

Our new dog, Winston, in the roughed-out background of one of my shadow boxes for The Columbus Museum of Art's Wonder Room project. Notice his enormous Johnson.

A few weeks have past since I last typed at you. It seems like forever. I think you might have grown a an inch? Maybe a little more? While we're on the subject of your appearance, you look good. Like REALLY good. Remind me to ask you about your regimen. It's apparently working well for you. Seriously.

I have been workingworkingworking 9 to 5 then 5 to 9. For like a while now. And you'd think I would say no to a few things. But no. Some things are hard to say no to. It's o.k. I like to stay busy. I just read on some Facebook link this thing where people say what they regret most on their deathbeds, and I think one was something like, "I wish I didn't work so hard." I think one of mine might be, "I didn't say yes to enough things." Some people are just wired weird.

But it's hard on those close to me. Saying yes to other things means saying no to important things. Family things. It tears me in two. I feel selfish. There is no win/win. There's sort of like an uncomfortable smile like in a group photo and a tarnished trophy. Neither seem worthwhile or valuable. But I can't stop myself. If I had a dime for every time I said, "After _______ I promise I'll be less busy." then I'd have a big container full of dimes. I life-size container. A heavy, heavy life-size container full of crappy dimes.

GARRRRHHHHH! And of course a fucking Radiohead song comes on while I'm typing this. And here's me without something sharp.

Just kidding.

OMG, we got a puppy!!! Not just any puppy. It's the cutest puppy in the whole world of puppies. I'm not a dog person, so I can make this judgement. Our puppy is the cutest. It's a Boston Terrier/French Bulldog mix. Which makes it the most perfect dog that is not a Pomeranian. And for whatever reason, he has a really large penis. I think that makes him like a superhero dog. Did you know that puppies like to pee and/or poop in heating vents? I just recently discovered this. Also, the best toy for a puppy? A Swiffer. You can clean while your puppy bites and/or rides on this cleaning supply. Who knew?

O.k., so one of the projects that has made me a crazy person for the last month is this commission for the Columbus Museum of Art's Wonder Room. I created two shadow boxes that will be installed in their interactive area for the next three years. And while that might sound impressive, it's actually 100% nepotism that allowed me to obtain this gig. But holy shit, this had been the NUMBER ONE MOST DIFFICULT PROJECT I HAVE EVER WORKED ON! You just cannot sketch a concept for this kind of work. I really felt close to my hero, Michael deMeng, during this process. He always mentions that he likes to just dump out all of his bits and pieces during the fabrication of his work. I couldn't really figure out any other way to do this. You know what sucks for a large-scale project such as this? Working on your dining room table. BUT IT'S FINISHED!!! It makes our dining room look so clean now! I am supposed to tell people that they can't come to see the Wonder Room until January 1st unless they are members. You'd think that there'd be some event to link you to for a project of this scale? Not at this time however. But the opening is this Saturday. But just for members. That much I am aware of?

Hey, this has gone on for a while. Who wants to read a bunch of stupid information in one post? Not you! You have more growing to do! Next post will be funnier I think. Thank you for being so patient. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Sharon! Yes, I did miss you, but am in awe of what's been going on in your life. A puppy?! I really am a cat person, but I like Other People's dogs.
    (My sister has 13 dogs--only 7 in the house, tho--she's NOT CRAZY! She and her husband live on a farm, and they get drop-offs, and they can't stand to see abandoned pets. They LOVE dogs! It's always wild visiting her--before we can talk and catch up, I have to greet and pet all the dogs.)
    ( Just occurred to me: I wonder if my "dog voice" is the same as my "cat voice"? You know, I don't think it is!)
    Anyway,I have known many fine dogs.
    Winston is exceptionally cute, and I hope he grows up to be a fierce and vigilant watchdog.
    Perhaps his cuteness could work in his favor--anybody who breaks in and spies him will immediately be cooing over him and talking in their "dog-voice" and then you can go out with your baseball bat,etc.
    And oh, man, I ALWAYS want to get a lot of information in any post (and am so guilty about writing TOO MUCH, myself. You CAN'T give me too much information.)
    I am so intrigued by a Wonder Room, and anything with sticks and rocks is good by me. I like to think I live in a "Wonder House"--don't get a lot done, but I keep collecting stuff--my kitchen table is buried right now. I have many projects going on.. I just LOVE stuff, and have to think up ways of using it all! (Currently experimenting with teabags and rust)
    I do LOVE M.deMeng's way of working---makes perfect sense to me. Like the sculptor,(I forget who) describing how he made a certain piece by carving away everything that did NOT look like what he wanted it to be. Put everything out there and subtract the unnecessary/superfluous, that's a good plan.
    Until next time, then! Be well and happy and give dat wittle puppy a nice hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I love your comments!

      You are amazing! STAY WARM!!!

      Delete
  2. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas (or festive winter-time holiday nomenclature of your choice)! XX

    ReplyDelete