Sunday, August 12, 2012

On Clowns...

One of several masks and other clown-related items for What the Rock?!'s September window display.

When I mentioned that I was going to create a clown-themed window display, more often than not folks were less than supportive of the idea. The overall consensus was that clowns = things to avoid. But "You gotta do you!" is a mantra I try to live by (for better or for worse), so ONWARD CLOWN-MAKING!

It did make me wonder though why I have such a love for clowns when of all phobias, coulrophobia (fear of clowns) is among one of the most popular of the bunch. For the most part, I have phobias-a-plenty (most of the environment-related ones, all of the disease/parasite/medical-related ones, driving down High Street, people, etc.), so for someone prone to fear you would think that clowns would be a "sure thing". I guess what draws me to clowns is the controlled mystery. The ability to hide while still being present. The ability to perform then to disappear. To be able to take it off. Wash it away. Return to the mundane. If that's not the most romantic notion ever, I'm not sure what is.

So please, if you are not prone to clown anxiety, stop by and see the fruits of my current passion and be entertained, repulsed or something in between.


I think we all have the urge to be a clown, whether we know it or not.
-Ernest Borgnine  

3 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to see it! I'm expecting to be creeped out in a good way

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit to never having understood the oh-so-popular fear of clowns, have found it to be somewhat ridiculous. Then again, I'm also a tad twisted, so my opinion on things that are/aren't scary shouldn't count much.

    Speaking of twisted, interested in a sock puppet commission? Drop me an email!

    ReplyDelete