Monday, November 21, 2011

Styrofoam Fail

There are some hard lessons you learn along the way. I learned one today, and I really want to share it with you so that you do not also make this heinous error. DO NOT USE STYROFOAM AS AN ARMATURE FOR POLYMER CLAY! It will seriously eff your shit up! Styrofoam is a kind of plastic which apparently acts as a foamy Shrinky Dink in the oven, taking your sculpture along with it as it transforms.

I really wanted a smooth armature for my pieces, so I thought a round Styrofoam ball would be perfect. What I should have choosen instead if I wanted to use polymer clay is a foil ball or a wooden ball. Another option would have been to use air-dry clay over Styrofoam.

I'm hoping to repair my pieces with Apoxie Sculpt, but I estimate that that will take another hour. Time is money and stupidity is expensive!

5 comments:

  1. to quote someone famous "this poop"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when stuff like this happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same problem and solved it with covering the styrofoam ball with aluminum foil, before i built up my sculpey. The foil is strong enough to hold the ball in form and keep your sculpture from cracking! I learned it the hard way too...

    ReplyDelete